Close to my Heart scrapbooking and cardmaking products

I'm an independent Close to my Heart consultant! If you're interested in our wonderful line of products, you can check them out or order online on my website at: Francine.cmth.com.au



16 February 2013

Cooking School




Today I've got a double page layout to share. It's about the cooking class we took while we were in Bali. It was such a fantastic day! Those of you who know me will wonder why we took a cooking class when I so hate cooking! But, this was a culture and cooking lesson combined. We started the day at a local (non-tourist) market looking at all the different foods and items for sale. Our guide/host, Made Sang, explained the uses of various items and we tasted some fruits that you can't get in Australia. Afterwards he took us to his family home and explained how the compound was laid out as well as several Balinese (Hindu) traditions. Then came the cooking class with his brother, Dewa. We kept busy with different tasks and it was a lot of fun. Before we could sit down to the lunch that we made we learned about the daily offerings that happen before you can eat. We had to get dressed in sarongs (tied a certain way for men and differently for women), then made our way in to the family temple in the compound. His mother made the offerings while we watched on. Then finally we had the most delicious lunch, with everything made from scratch by our own hands! I would certainly encourage any of you thinking of going to Bali to book in for a class with the Lobong Cooking School. It's a wonderful experience!

But, I digress, back to my layout. I used two different sketches for two different challenges and put them together to make the one layout. The sketches were quite different, but by using the same papers and types of embellishments, I think they flow together quite nicely. I also had some embellishments which I put across the top of both pages to join them together. 


The left hand side is based on a sketch from Stuck?! Sketches. The sketch was an 8.5" x 11" sketch, so I just extended it to fit the 12" x 12" format. I added the title and journalling after I finished embellishing, and this is my only regret. In hindsight I think I should have waited with all the washi tape I added until after I put the title and journalling on. I may still change it and remove one line of washi tape and bling, I'm not sure. Here's the page and some close ups.
 

Turned 90o to right
The right hand side is based on a Page Maps sketch for a challenge at Scrappin Patch. I turned the sketch 90o to the right. In place of the title on the sketch, I used the little paper bag that we received at the end of our class. It held a bottle of coconut oil which we'd seen made that morning, as well as the booklet of recipes from the day. I cut the back off the bag and stuck it down to make a pocket for the recipe book. I used the other twine handle for the centres of my doily embellishments. Here's a look at the right hand page and some close ups from that page.


Recipe book out of the paper bag pocket
 


Ingredients on the pages are:
Cardstock and patterned papers - Stampin Up! (Urban Oasis)
Washi tape - Black and White tulip
Letter stickers - Basic Grey Fruitcake
Bling - Glitterazzi
Cutting dies (from virtually every company I own a cutting die by!):
My Favorite Things die-namics - Prima Donna Petals
Spellbinders - Fleur de Lis squares (I used the smallest square combined with the smallest plain square from the Nellie Snellen die in the centre to turn it into a frame)
Nellie Snellen - MultiFrame round Lilly (MFD030), Multi Frame square (vierkant - MFD012)

I welcome any comments or questions you might care to leave J.

Till next time, happy days!

Francine

2 comments:

Lainie said...

This is awesome Francine and I love that you captured this memory for your scrapbook. I really like how your 'joined' the pages together too. Cool colours and a cool pocket!

Eniko said...

Wow! A cooking class in Bali? How cool is that?!? I love your courage in marrying the two different sketches ans I'm blown away how successful that marriage turned out! Love it! And those butterflies are gorgeous! Hugs!