Close to my Heart scrapbooking and cardmaking products

I'm an independent Close to my Heart consultant! If you're interested in our wonderful line of products, you can check them out or order online on my website at: Francine.cmth.com.au



26 May 2012

Lighthouses (of Kangaroo Island)


Challenge # 32 at Use it Tuesday is to use two hoarded supplies from your stash. Well, seeing as I am almost exclusively using old stuff, that's pretty easy for me at the moment! Even the pictures are old - from 2006.

I started this layout with a challenge from The Crop Room to use kraft paper, blue tones, flower(s) and die cut or stamped swirl(s). From my supplies I found papers from TLC, a TLC chipboard flourish/swirl, some large blue brads, and letters, all of which have been in my stash for years and years. I also finally used the baker's twine that I bought at last year's craft fair.

The letters for the lighthouses part of the title come from a piece of patterned paper that I bought probably the first year I was scrapping. I don't even know how long it's been, but certainly more than 7! I found that the smallest square die from my new Nellie Snellen multi frame die cutting set is perfect for cutting out these letters, so I might be using more of them now! I used another die - Papertrey Ink - Beautiful Blooms II #1 Die Collection to make the flower in the corner. For the tag on the smallest photo I used the Die-namics notched tag die, and for the file tabs I used the Die-namics file tab die.

I've never quite been sure of how to attach the baker's twine, hence why I never used it. I found this great blog from a young man named Drew, from California. I was watching one of his videos and in it he effortlessly added some twine, so that's what I tried to do on this layout, and I like how it turned out.

Of course, the actual page design is based on a sketch - because I love sketches! This one is by Liz Chidester from The Scrappiest. I made some changes to the sketch, but still used the basic structure. The whole layout came together in about the half the time it usually takes me, so I might have to use this sketch again.

Just as a matter of interest, the smallest photo is of the lighthouse at Cape Willoughby. This lighthouse was the first one to be built on the South Australian coast and was built in 1852. All three lighthouses were very interesting. Other than the choppy ride over on the ferry the day we went, we thoroughly enjoyed our little stay on Kangaroo Island and would recommend it to anyone visiting the area. 

Despite the simplicity of the layout, I'm really happy with how this one turned out. I'd love to hear what you think.

Till next time, happy days.

Francine

2 comments:

{Eka} said...

Lovely LO! Wonderful pictures. Thanks for palying at Use It Tuesday. :)

Sarah said...

OOoohhh love love lighthouses! You did a gorgeous job! Thanks for playing along at UIT! ;)